Welcome

Welcome
Kanji and Decia are waiting for you!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dog Shows - Like to watch but....................

I have to admit that I did watch the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show but .......................

I like to watch this show to see all of the different breeds but then I realize that this whole event is contrary to what I believe in. There are so many dogs out there that need homes that are combos of all sorts of breeds - I call them "love children" - (I have one - Kanji - a combo of Shitzu and Cockapoo,  who is a wonderful "accident" between neighbor dogs, not  designer breed (see Kanji's puppy picture).

Dog Shows support the concept that pure bred dogs are the way to go and that the more exotic the better. Although I am sure that these dogs come from loving homes and are treated like family,  they perpetuate a culture of "perfect" dogs - with qualities not necessarily healthy or good for the animal.  Also people fall in love with some of the breeds that are not necessarily  meant to be house pets - those that need lots of exercise and activity - those meant to be "working" dogs - not house pets. When this happens you end up with not only an unhappy family but an unhappy dog.

So watch the show and be happy for those dogs but when thinking of getting a dog - go the rescue route - you'll be happy you did.

That's my vent for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment